Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hushovd takes stage 3


I must admit that I'm not following the cycling world as avidly as I once was. I did however, tune in to see a good chunk of today's stage in the Tour of California. You can watch the stage live on their Tour Tracker website. It's pretty cool. You can follow individual riders, get mph, time gaps, etc. Stage 3 was clearly a sprinters day. Some early climbs and then about 50 miles of flat to finish off the 104 mile stage.

A small group had broken away and got a 5+ minute gap. It wasn't enough. The peloton slowly starting reeling them in. Unfortunately, I had to go with about 12 miles to go. The gap was now around 1:30. At this point I decided to call the race for my favorite Norwegian sprinter, Thor Hushovd.

In the end, the peloton didn't catch the break until the final kilometers. Then in a text book lead out, the Cervelo Test Team set up Thor perfectly to take the win. You can check out the video here: http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/race-live/video.html

I also love the picture above - you know this was as much a victory for Thor's team as it was for him.

No comments: