Saturday, December 13, 2008

Master of Arts

While I had already "officially" completed my Master's, I attended the graduate commencement ceremony at the University of Minnesota yesterday. I have always appreciated such ceremonies and I have to admit, it felt good to take some time to reflect upon and recognize the past two years of work. I guess this means I am officially a Master, whatever that means.

Yesterday also marked the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death. It felt good to think about him watching down on us as we celebrated. It is odd to think how often the closing of one chapter coincides with the beginning of another. Of how often grief and sorrow is followed by joy and hope. This is, I think, one of the beautiful ironies of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Erik! We are proud of you! You deserve to celebrate a job well done!
Love,
Dan and Sue

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Master of Arts! And a little one on the way! Shana...you look fabulous! All the best. Hans and I would love to see you all in 2009!